A dirt bike is a different category of motorcycle that is considered for off-road riding. While simple bikes or bicycles go with every age, dirt bikes suit people who love riding bikes on different terrains. From regular to irregular roads, muddy to grassy streets, ups, and downs, dirt bikes are the most suitable vehicle for off-road.
Dirt bikes are of great favor to enjoy bike rides with family and friends. In addition to enjoying quality time, dirt bikes make ways easier to pass.
However, exactly how old do you have to be to ride dirt bike? 5, 10, 20, 30, or more than that? Do you need to be a mature person to learn to ride a dirt bike? Can you give dirt bikes to your kids? Well, let’s discuss all of these in detail.
In the beginning…
As things are easy to capture at the initial stage, kids can capture and learn new things easily and quickly than mature people. In general, kids of 3 to 4 years old can start learning to ride a dirt bike. Kids can begin to learn to ride dirt bikes with a small electric dirt bike.
All they need is enough support, essential protection, and careful guidance. A kid of 3 to 4 years old can ride a simple 50cc dirt bike that is powered by gas. These bikes have four wheels so that kids can keep balance and stay safe.
On the other hand, when kids step up to 5 to 6 years old or above, they can ride a real dirt bike without training wheels and move around in a safe place. In this way, kids properly learn to control and ride a dirt bike in an open place.
If kids continue to ride a dirt bike regularly, you can give your kid a suitable dirt bike after they step up to 7 or 8 years old. Moreover, kids can move around different terrains at this age.
Table of Contents
Things to know when learning to ride a dirt bike
Learning dirt bike riding is not so hard nut to crack. The matter is, many people think that dirt bikes are not so safe to learn for kids. But studies have shown that dirt bikes are safer to learn and ride than four-wheeled vehicles. However, no matter how old you are.
There are several things to know and consider when you or your kid start to learn to ride a dirt bike. Check out the following points to know the initial guides to learn to ride a dirt bike.
- Safety Coverage: First of all, you need to prepare your kid with a strong helmet, comfortable gloves, and proper shoes. These are highly required for kids as well as mature people to remain safe. Where a helmet protects the head and face, gloves keep hands free of danger. A pair of shoes will save the feet from being harmed. Otherwise, kids will be in danger at the time of learning a dirt bike.
- Suitability: Select a suitable and simple engine dirt bike with a supportive wheel for 3 to 4-year-old kids. A suitable bike will diminish the possibility of being in danger. Also, an apposite dirt bike is good for maintaining the sitting position of kids which makes learning dirt bike more enjoyable. On the other hand, you can provide a two-wheeler dirt bike to kids above 5 years old. Just remember to put on the safety cover.
- Appropriate gear: An appropriate gear is another essential thing for dirt bikes. You should consider it before you or your kid want to learn to ride a dirt bike. Appropriate gear allows keeping pace with the ups and downs of different roads. It also helps to manage the riding speed of a dirt bike. Thus, you have to make your kids accustomed to operating the gear of dirt bikes.
- Controller: Whether it is a dirt bike or a regular bike, a controller is an indispensable part of bikes. By using a controller, you can stop riding a bike just the place you want or need. So, kids should learn how to use the controller of a dirt bike at the time of learning to ride a dirt bike.
- Height: The height of a dirt bike should be suitable for the height of your kid. Before you buy a dirt bike for your kid, you have to think about whether the legs can touch the ground at the time of sitting on the bike. If your kid seems unable to touch the ground, you should probably avoid selecting that bike.
- Open and safe place: At the moment of learning dirt bikes, a good place is required that will be open and free of trees. Thus, kids won’t get bumped with trees here and there. But don’t choose a rough place to learn to ride a dirt bike. Your kid will get hurt if s/he fell in a rough place. Therefore, avoid the place covered by pitch and full of trees when your kid wants to learn to ride a dirt bike.
After considering all of these things, you need to check one more thing. A dirt bike is not a bike to play. Instead, it is a vehicle that you or your kid can learn to ride to easily pass the longways. Also, you just can’t take anything you like. Because the seemingly good dirt bike may not be appropriate for you. This is why you have to consider these things.
Also, don’t forget to check out dirt bike sand riding tips for beginners.
Types of dirt bikes
Dirt bikes have different members of the family. While some dirt bikes are suitable to ride on dangerous trails, some others are perfect for simple off-roads. You can ride a mountain using some dirt bikes. Also, there are dirt bikes that are made for racing purposes.
However, types of dirt bikes are given as follows. You can go through the types to choose your required one.
1. Trail bike
The trail bike is a category of dirt bike that is fantastically prepared for deep-rooted ways. Trail bikes have full suspension that is perfect for passing rocky trails. Mostly, trail bikes are suitable for expert bike riders.
2. Motocross bike
For racing purposes, there are amazing dirt bikes such as motocross bikes. Motocross bikes are perfect for racing on different trails like muddy, gravel, grassy, or bumpy roads. Motocross bikes are the top pick to race and pass the roads that are full of lots of obstacles.
3. Dual-sport bike
Dual-sport dirt bike gives an amazing riding experience in case of both off-roads and on-roads. Thus, you won’t need separate bikes for on-road and off-road activities.
4. Trial bike
Trial bikes are used for extreme-level sport biking on mountain trails. In a trial biking race, it is not allowed to keep hands or feet on the ground for the riders.
5. Adventure bike
Adventure bikes give actual fun to dirt bike riders. In different trails, ups, and downs, adventure bikes are the perfect selection for bike lovers.
6. Flat-track bike
Flat-track bikes are made for amateur racing competitions in American trails. Flat-track bikes have both four-stroke and two-stroke engines with greater suspension.
7. Enduro bike
Enduro bikes are meant for timed racing on different mountains and trails on downhills. On the other hand, uphill is not timed yet mandatory to pass.
8. Supermoto bike
Supermoto bikes are another type of dirt bike meant for dual-purpose riding. Supermoto bikes are adjusted to additional sport tires that go perfectly on smaller streets. These bikes are used for Supermoto bike races as well.
9. Hill-climb bike
From road races to hill climbs, hill-climb dirt bikes can be a suitable solution. These bikes are manufactured with higher suspension and lighter equipment so that riders can easily move these bikes.
Choosing the Right Bike for Kids
After going through the types of dirt bikes, it is now your turn to select the right one for your kid. All types of dirt bikes won’t be perfect for the kids of early-stage as well. Therefore, you have to think properly and consider the capability of your kid before you give a dirt bike to your kid.
Dirt bike riding gear for kids
At the initial stage, kids don’t need to ride a bike with additional gear. Instead, they can ride a simple 50cc gas-powered dirt bike that has supportive wheels. The gear that is attached to a simple electric dirt bike is perfect for kids of 3 to 4 years old. Gears can be upgraded when kids step up to 5 years old.
They can learn to handle the gears at this age. An average-grade dirt bike with different gears is good for kids over 7 to 8 years old.
However, upgrading the gear of a dirt bike is important at that time when your kid will learn to ride a dirt bike perfectly and safely. Otherwise, it may cause danger to your lovely kid.
Dirt bike safety and kids
There is no specific timing of happening an accidental case. Accidents happen a lot because of riding dirt bikes without enough care and safety materials. Thus, when you allow your kids to ride dirt bikes, you have to know the safety matters for you and your kids. Dirt bike safety for kids is given below.
- First of all, don’t let your kid jump or race on rough trails. Although it is funny to run or jump on different trails using a dirt bike, it may cause accidents. Therefore, you have to try to make kids understand to ride a dirt bike without being involved in a race or jump here and there.
- To avoid danger, kids have to wear safety Boots, clothes, helmets, and gloves. Especially, a helmet is mandatory for everyone who wants to ride a dirt bike. Thus, always wear a helmet before riding bikes or dirt bikes. It will save you and your kid’s life even after a severe accident.
- Alcohol is another cause of happening accidents at the time of riding dirt bikes. So, be careful and keep your kid away from alcohol.
- Choose a suitable dirt bike based on your kid’s height. Also, don’t allow your kid to ride a dirt bike that is bigger and stronger than your kid. The oversized dirt bike may cause of happening fatal injuries.
- Remember one thing. A dirt bike is better and safer than a four-wheeled vehicle. So, don’t worry and follow the safety rules for you and your kid.
Now pick up the appropriate dirt bike no matter how old you have. If it is a matter of learning dirt bikes, you can start it at any age. For your kid, learning dirt bikes is good as well if you provide enough support and a suitable dirt bike.
Just start from the easier and safer one and upgrade the bike after learning bike riding properly. In this way, things will remain good and you or your kid will be safe from being in danger.